Saturday, October 17, 2009

Introduction


The Martha Stewart Project:
As a young cook, there are many chefs that can be looked up to, and many that I wish to one day have the same skill as. From Marcus Samuelsson to Mario Batali, the range and style of a chef varies greatly. Yet, many young people (high school students) are given very little exposure to the culinary world. Yes, there are Home Economic classes, but do they really give us the insight to the life of a chef, and the many different techniques used? This is one of my goals in this project. To expose young people to the techniques, challenges, history, and art of cooking.
To do so, I will not only research the history of cooking, but cook through Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook. Almost everyone knows about Martha Stewart, even those who don't cook. Not only does her name grace the many cookbooks she has written, but she has a whole line of items that bear her name too. Now, people might think, "Hey, this sounds eerily similar to what Julie Powell did!" and I admit that part of my project was inspired by what she did. But, it will vary in that I am doing this for a school project, and will also do more background research on cooking and the ins-and outs of being a chef in addition to my actual cooking. I have been cooking with my mother from a young age and this will definitely be a project close to my heart. I hope everyone finds this project as exciting and interesting as I am expecting it to be!

I guess it's time to start cooking!
Grace

1 comment:

  1. Hey Grace,

    I think you are off to a great start and its really interesting what you are doing. I look forward to following your progress and hearing about your journey!

    Keep up the fenominal work Grace Kelly!
    Kels

    ReplyDelete