Sunday, November 15, 2009

3 in a row!

Ok, so I have to update soooooooooo much! I have done, let's see.... 3 meals since my last entry! oops.....

Sunday, Nov. 8, 2009:
Dinner: Pan-Seared Scallops with Fennel Puree (p.260)
Ok, so that weekend was CRAZY!!! It was my cousin's birthday and I helped my Aunt with the meal for that night, so I still had to do a ton of homework on Sunday. One part of that homework comprised of running around my "town" taking pictures of structures for my art class. Thus, I got home late and had to start dinner. So, while the pan-seared scallops took no time at all to cook, the fennel puree was not possible for me to do as it had to strain for 1 1/2 hours... yea not happening at 6:30 at night. So, I simply roasted the fennel, and made some potato fries to go with it. The meal turned out quite good, but I would have liked to try the fennel puree....maybe I'll issue a redo on this one.....

Wednesday Nov. 11, 2009: NO SCHOOL
Dinner: Perfect Roast Chicken (p.127-129 with Sicilian- Style Sauteed Greens ( p.321)
So, I've seen my mom make roast chicken plenty of times, and was king of afraid mine wouldn't stand up to her perfection of it. I admit, I did not like handling that uncooked, whole chicken. Taking the bag of giblets out of the cavity was really gross for me! The heart and liver were falling out of the bag, so I was trying not to look at them while I threw the darn thing away. Yuck! And when I had to clean the chicken, I did not like the feeling of holding it. I don't know, it just felt weird to have all the joints moving and it felt like I was holding a live-chicken minus the feathers....weird.
Anyway, I stuffed the bird with lemon and thyme and rosemary and put butter under the skin... It turned out to be VERY good! moist and delish.

The Sicilian Greens were Swiss chard, which I have never had before. So, I was walking in Stop n' Shop and saw these beautiful multi-colored leaves. It was the Swiss Chard. They all had different color stems: pink, yellow, orange and white. I thought they were just soo pretty! Anyway, that made me reallly excited to make this dish, especially since it had nuts and raisins ( sounds weird, tastes amazing) which I love in savory dishes. This dish was pretty easy to make and was absolutely amazing! If you don't like greens, this dish will convert you... it was that good.The Swiss Chard tasted as good as it looked! It surprisingly had the flavor of beets and was not bitter at all. It worked really great with the pine nuts ( substituted for almonds)and raisins. I was really surprised with the complex flavors and how they all melded together to form a warm, delicate flavor. TRY THIS DISH!

Saturday Nov. 14, 2009:
Bolognese Sauce with Fettuccine (p.383-385)
So, as many of you know (ahem, Katie, Kelsey, Mari) I made dinner to share on this night! I invited a couple of friends over( as aforementioned) to gape in awe at my culinary skills..... Okay, so it was more like they came over to eat good food...same thing... : )
So before my guests arrived, I was supposed to be ingredient shopping, but wound up at the shoe store...don't ask....
Thus, when we finally were able to get the grocery store and get home, it was 2:30. I had told my friends to come over anytime after 3:00. Uh Oh. Rush time!
I did manage to somehow get everything cooking, but my friends did have to wait a while ( the bolognese takes 3 hours to stew). But no matter. We chatted it up pretty well, so time flew!My mom helped me out a lot by making the dessert: a luscious lemon mousse. Thanks Mom! : )
When dinner was finally served we sat down and said grace ( the prayer, not my name). All I could see were the puzzled faces of Kelsey and Katie. Apparently, they don't say grace before meals. Shame on them!! ( I'm just kidding guys). Then we all dug in. If I do say so myself, it was delicious. My friends seemed to think so too...... at least,I think they did...
-Oh, I have to interject here on behalf of Mari. Those saltine, sugar-butter, chocolate cookies things were amazing!--
Anyway, we chatted away after we finished (actually, while we waited for Mari to finish...slowpoke! : )) and then got to eat a yummy dessert. Then, to work off all those calories we had just inhaled, we decided to each try and row on my erg. I don't think that machine has ever or will ever get so much attention and excitement as it did. Katie even managed to do the full 2K! Go Katie! : ) BTW,Katie, you totally have to join crew in the fall!....and Mari, don't judge me! haha

So, after we worked out, we all formed a circle and proceeded to share the latest gossip to hit the school and try and get each other to tell what guy we have a crush on.... it was all very amusing. And very fun.
So, guys, if you're reading this, we have to do this again! The question is, whose house and who's cookin'? Let me know....

Anyway, great food and great laughs!

Until next weekend,

Grace

3 comments:

  1. Grace, You have a wonderful group of friends, I must say! Your cooking talent is truly amazing and I'll let you know right now, I'm not letting the lead out to long when it's time for you to go off to college. You'll just have to return home on weekends to give your poor old mom a break! : ) Hahahaha...
    I love you my sweet Grace.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace,
    Man that night was sooo much fun. I haven't laughed as much as we did in forever! For someone who has never had bolonaise before I thought that the meal was amazing and the lemon dessert and salitines were the perfect dessert. We should definetly do this again Ill ask the bevinator what happen in Coventry soon and maybe I can host! Well time to do some hw!

    That night was fabulous and I had soo much for, thanks for inviting me over!

    Kels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace that bolognese was the best I ever had, and I've had a lot. The lemon mousse and the saltines were the perfect way to top it off! I had so much fun that night, I'd love to do it again as well!! I'll ask my parents if we can do it here at my house sometime! So much fun.

    Reilly

    ReplyDelete