Thursday, December 10, 2009

Switcharoo ( No more martha)

I have a declaration to make: I will now be using other cookbooks in my cooking project! This comes after a rather dissappointing Martha Stewart Recipe book which had some flaws ( sorry martha!). For one thing, some of the recipes were kind of, well, blah. Nothing special. Another problem was with the measurements in the recipes. In the Hollandaise, she called for waaaaaay to much butter! It started to turn into gorilla glue, so I had to water it down....watery hollandaise....blah! So, for last weeks entry ( sorry! schoolwork and track have diminished my ability to update immediately) I used a book that my mom ordered from the library called Mad Hungry. I can't remember the name of the recipe off the top of my head, but I made a delicious spatchcocked, lemon chicken. Spatchcocking, for those of you who don't know, is basically taking a whole chicken and flattening it out. This involves cutting the backbone out of the chicken with chicken shears.... that was quite an ordeal! Just the idea of scissors scraping and crunching bone was desturbing to me! So, when I started to cut, i got soooooo squeamish that i couldn't continue! lucky for me, mom rolled up her sleeves and wasn't afraid to complete the dirty deed. The rest of the process was easy and bone-crunching free. The chicken was divine, yes divine, and i made a heavenly arborio rice to go with it. I love arborio rice..... : ) Anyway,aside from the butchering, this dinner was a good one, and i am excited to pick out this weekends dinner!

1 comment:

  1. Martha's cookbook was a big disappointment. I don't really think that Martha had too much involvement in putting this one together. Her personal touch wasn't felt throughout the book. Let's put it this way: her face was on the cover and that's about all. So, I approve of Grace moving on to other cookbooks where she CAN learn new recipes that DO come out the way they are supposed to. No one is perfect, I understand, but this book just couldn't hold the mustard.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete